14.1.10

Lovely Lefties

Well the Sox did indeed sign another lefty like I was asking for. I say this like my pining for a southpaw had ANYTHING to do whatsoever with the signing but, tomato tomahto, let me have my fun. Brian Shouse is now a member of the hometown nine. And to show you how much they think of this signing they aren't even going to formally announce it. But what Shouse enables Terry Francona to put into play some better matchups when you're playing lefty heavy lineups like the Yankees. He doesn't have blow away stuff he'll try to finesse you from the side almost submarine style and usually keeps lefties at bay (.224 BAA last year). I suppose this is as good as your going to get via the free-agent market and hopefully he pans out but for some reason those lefty side winders really piss me off. How many times do you need to see Ortiz yank one off Damaso Marte or Javier Lopez give up piss rocket after frozen rope in the 8th to give up the lead to realize you're bullpen should be mostly power. I want a lefty and I'm talking John Rocker style, who isn't going to take shit from no subway bitches and can come into the game in the 7th or 8th and close the door. All prejudice aside John Rocker was the SHIT on the bump. He's from the dirty south would you expect anything less.

Ben Sheets is said to be asking for 10 plus million dollars and in a year where he's coming off of an injury, a down economy, and he hasn't pitched in the Big Leagues since 2008 that may seem a bit outlandish. But I'm going to tell you that when healthy is one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball. And if you think of what CC, Roy, and Johan are making (just to name a few of them), 10 mil is chump change. Former manager Ned Yost said, "I've seen him with an IV in his arm 30 minutes before gametime and then go out and throw a shutout." You shittin' me? This guy is a horse and for the first time in 19 months he's COMPLETELY HEALTHY. The Cubs have been linked to him but the team that needs him the most is the Baltimore Orioles. They just acquired a number 2 pitcher posing as a Number 1 in Kevin Milwood and if they signed Sheets a true ace, with that young lineup, you could be looking at the 2007 Rays all over again. Ben Sheets would really earn his money in the AL East and I hope for the Red Sox sake they don't make a run at him but if they do you're not looking at 16 victories against them the next year.

As for the on-going Bash Brother saga Mark McGwire's only retort to Jose tea-bagging him with his comments from the other day was, "I'm not going to stoop down to his level." Are you for friggin' real? You need to man the fuck up and give it right back to this guy. You're Mark fucking McGwire! But I guess that doesn't mean much anymore does it? Zing.

Just when the Mets thought their team was shaping up to be a, we'll call it a contender for humor purposes because we know they will go on a 47 game losing streak in July, Carlos Beltran goes and gets surgery without telling the team or his agent. I may be a novice but, breach of contract anyone? Withholding information? The Mets should be FURIOUS. But on a positive note for us this should open up trade talks with Minaya (a genius among mere toads) for a Mike Lowell and Jacoby Ellsbury swap for David Wright. I realize that trade would NEVER happen but hear me out. Minaya is an imbecile. So his train of thought is:

  • "Wow, I'm getting a guy that won a Gold Glove before! 2005 wasn't that long ago"
  • "This very same guy won a World Series MVP! This will equal a World Series for our fans!"
  • "Jacoby Ellsbury makes a liar out of UZR"
  • "I'm also getting two players for one!"
  • "I'm the smartest GM in the world!!!"

Make it happen Theo, Omar Minaya is counting on you!

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment