14.12.09

A Man Among Boys

There aren't many times that I focus on the positive or the heartfelt in this blog, and maybe it's because the other day when I watched Homeward Bound and Marley & Me (Probably some sort of awkward dog fetish) in succession I was sobbing like a blithering idiot; but after reading the ESPN Farewell by Peter Gammons, one of those crocodile tears welled up in the corner of my eyes.

I have only shaken the one they call "Gammo's" hand on an idle summer day in Fenway Park. I've never gotten to ask him about his time at The Globe, or about how he got to where he is, but in my estimation there aren't many finer individuals than this guitar playin' baseball connoisseur.

Soon after my graduation from High School in 2006 (holy shit 4 years?) Peter Gammons was said to have had a brain aneurism. I remember talking to one of my friends that I graduated with and one of the bloggers at Sweaty Towels, as we laboriously slapped paint on one of the numerous houses that took up our summers. Both of us came to the conclusion that aside from players, there is no more dynamic person/personality in baseball than Gammons. Most notably in the vaunted book MoneyBall
when esteemed GM Billy Beane is doing his wheelings and dealings he rejects numerous phone calls from agents and other GM's but when Peter Gammons calls, he drops everything to pick up that call. If that's not indicative of the amount of respect and clout this man has, than I don't know what is.

For as much loathing, and hatred that I have to that knob-slobber Ken Rosenthal, I have that much admiration and man-love for Peter Gammons. He is the most thorough, knowledgeable, world-renown baseball analyst/reporter and in my mind he is the Gold Standard. This is essentially his retirement because you know that he can't leave this game, for the same reason that I can't let go of my "playing days" or the fulfillment that America's Pastime brings me. He's closer to home with the occasional trip to NJ for MLB Network and now can spend more time with his family for his remaining days. And being born in 1945 you never know…just sayin.

I want to thank you Peter Gammons, for influencing me in more ways than you could possibly imagine. I hope that once in my life that I can sit down with you even for a cup of coffee to show you how much appreciation and admiration I have for the work that you have done for the World's Greatest Game. Thank you Peter Gammons and ESPN was lucky to have such an upstanding citizen.

Stay Tuned

Ryan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment