16.12.09

Fielding it Cleanly

Its mailbag time again folks, but it's very difficult to have a diverse mailbag when only one person adds to the conversation. So all you guys that think I'm a dumbass or think that my baseball opinion is wrong (and I'm laughing at all of you who think that, but that's neither here nor there), then come out here and call me out? I know someone is reading this shit that I'm slinging, I guess I'm not really sure why anymore but, meh, let's do it. Money Mike (we are going to have to make you a regular on here) give it to 'em:

hey man i know with the signing of cameron that ells might be gone but why would they wanna trade the only speed they have on the base paths? 70 steals last year and the steal home was fantastic but im just saying...


 

i dont like at all the mike cameron deal its a big shot to the nuts of redsox nation...But maybe he's a trade peice for a big bat along with clay and some prospects?


 

chapmen is a guy who throws gas from the left side could you dream of a better 1-5 rotation if he is big leauge ready(beckett,lester,lackey,dice,chapmen)? i think not


 

and whats the word on guys coming to boston anything new since we had a kinda Gm talking on the phone the other night


 

First off, I'd like to say that I'm going to put the original text because I feel like it loses some of it luster and as the only person that writes in to this quagmire of a baseball hub. That being said, Mikey this is pretty elementary stuff.

  • Ellsbury has game changing speed, there is no denying that. But there are a bunch of what/if's or questions if you will about his game. I don't believe that he is a poor defensive outfielder. But I do know that some of the reads that he gets on balls hit over his head or in front of him are less than satisfactory. That being said I don't know that there's a better all around centerfielder moving laterally than him but reading the ball off the bat is a skill that is very difficult to master, and Mike Cameron has perfected it. The signing of Mike Cameron has exponentially made this defense amazing. On the off chance Ellsbury stays (I'm doubting it now) aside from Seattle you have the best outfield defense in all of baseball. Also the 70 steals will be made up but in a couple different players rather than just one player. Cameron historically has swiped 20+ bags just about every year except last year which he was hampered by his manager. So you have his 20+ bags, then you have Scutaro swiping 15 bags or so, and you'll still get some steals from Pedroia, and Drew and through whomever you have in left as well. Speed isn't essential to a Championship caliber team, unless your entire team is full of 20+ SB speedsters.


     

  • Originally I didn't like the deal, because I thought Cameron would be playing in a corner, and after listening to the press conference (you're going to love him by the way) it left me feeling that he would see a LOT of time in centerfield. This guy is a phenomenal teammate, an even better defensive player and he's going to hit us 20+ HR's I'm leaning more toward the 'plus' sign because of the monster in left. He hits 30+ doubles (also leaning toward the plus because of Fenway) and has 70-80 walks, that to me off sets the strikeouts that he will have. He is the complete player even at 37 years old. You don't sign a guy for almost 8 mil per season for you to just deal him away, doesn't make sense. He's going to be the starting centerfielder and I think you're looking at some sort of platoon in left with Hermida, and someone like a Xavier Nady?


     

  • Chapman is a once in a lifetime talent, but he's VERY raw. He hit 100mph in the World Baseball Classic but he also allowed 4 runs in 6 1/3 innings in that very same tournament. He's barely able to drink alcohol in the states, and he hasn't pitched since last summer, and he will absolutely need time in the minors. Maybe start him off at AA and let him work with the pitching coach. For the people that call him the left handed Steven Strasburg they are overstating everything because Chapman has never had the direction that Strasburg has and that although he can throw 100 mph, he can't pitch 100 mph, ya know what I mean? But if Chapman is as good as he can be if he puts the work in, he will be in the majors probably mid year 2011 which is about the same time Casey Kelly is slotted for the Bigs…hmmm. But before you have your wet dream remember all the hype about another Cuban, Jose Contreras. He's doing big things now.


     

  • I'd like to say that the talk you and I had the other night, was borderline the kind of talk I think Tiger Woods had with any one of his mistresses, as far as sexual content, even though it was about baseball. So ya'll step off because baseball is risqué. As far as I know the Sox are pulling out all the stops for Adrian Gonzalez right now, and if you're Jed Hoyer out in San Diego you laugh at all the previous offers until Theo comes at you and says here you go, you have your starting CF for the next 3 years, a potential ace in Clay Buchholz, and then you have to give them a Westmoreland, and SD really has a decision to make because when you give someone two Major League ready talents you have to seriously consider any deal that is remotely close to that.


     

That's what I got for you, As always feel free to email me ryan.norton@cision.com you could Facebook me, or twitter.com/bottomofthe9, or just leave it in the comments, I'll respond to your comments either through a post, OR right in the comment section.

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment