22.9.09

Manny Being Manny

While on the way to do some afternoon errands I thought that It would be a great idea to get an energy drink knowing that the game was going to be an hour later I'd need that extra boost to make it through without feeling like Shrek in the morning. While at Wal-Mart (yes, I realize I'm a cheap bastard) instead of walking the extra six feet to the other aisle where the Red Bulls are I'd stay in the same line and grab a Full Throttle. Great Decision…NOT. I should have known, that when the tab on the can broke as I was trying to open it that it wasn't meant to be and I should just cut my losses. But nope, I'm a stubborn prick and I needed that caffeine. From the first taste it was like I was sipping liquid hairspray and now my throat has this strange sticky feeling sort of like when hairspray hits skin.

So if ya'll didn't know "House" returned last night and I was flipping between FOX and NESN. Being that the Sox were up big, I figured eh, what the hell I'll just stick it out with the remainder of the sitcom and turn on the game afterwards. I turned it on as the lead went from 8-2 to 8-5. Now normally I'm all about reading the subliminal signs and when I changed the channel after not watching for an extended period of time, I should have done the team justice and kept the game off. So for that I'm sorry Red Sox Nation. But I am going to go out on a limb and say this one doesn't fall on me.

Manny DelCarmen or a more aptly named Sergio Mitre, didn't get all the 'suck' out of his system in Baltimore he needed to bring it on the road trip to Kansas City. I'm not one to criticize Francona, because honestly that's PROBABLY the spot you want MDC in the game (Up by 4 or more runs, against an anemic offense, and in a game that could be shortened by rain at any moment) but Manny needs an extended DL trip followed by an outright release in the offseason. I realize that that is quite dramatic and I am prepared to duel to the death on anyone that wants to debate it. That being said, his ERA is now skyrocketing at 4.34, the only reason he had success prior to his recent funk (and by success I mean still being able to compete in a Sanjaya Look-alike contest because we all know you can't pitch) was because Francona chose his spots to pitch you and it was as if you COULDN'T fail when you were in the game. Granted, you'd try your hardest but your 2.00 ERA that you were toting just a few weeks ago was more due to your playing time than your ability. All for Manny DelCarmen to be left off the playoff Roster say "Argh"! ARGH!!!

I realize that Manny being Manny is the Scapegoat for the entire pitching staff, although justifiably so, When you walk more than 10 people per game (7 by Timmah) you're asking for trouble. Daniel Bard gave up 2 runs in 1/3 of an inning and the bullpen was rendered useless at that point.

This was nothing more than a missed opportunity for our hometown 9. On a night where the Yankees lost to the Los Angeles of Anaheim of the United States of North America of the World (See what I did there, pick one friggin city and stand by it Halos!) all we had to do was knock off a last place team on which we were up 8-2 at one point. 8 to motherf*ucking 2 and we would be within a HANDFULL of games.

One word for last night's clusterf*ck. Fail.

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment