25.2.10

All Century Team

I'm going to freely, and openly admit that I watch an unhealthy amount of MLBTV. Lately with the season not yet underway they have played a LOT of old World Series games and biopics of different players. But what caught my eye was all the "All-Century Team" coverage. It got me thinking, I'd like to make a roster, not a 25 man because the 25 man roster includes relievers but 20 man including all the positional players, a DH, 5 starters, a closer, a collective OF (not positional) and 5 Bench players. I'm not going to include "relievers" other than the closer because that is a relatively new practice and it just doesn't seem right. You've got to have a Backup catcher, and the right players in order to fill out your 5 man bench that you would actually need for a season. It's actually pretty difficult and fun, you should try it!

Starting Lineup-

  1. SS- Ernie Banks
  2. LF- Ted Williams
  3. CF- Willie Mays
  4. DH- Babe Ruth
  5. RF-Mikey Mantle
  6. 1B-Lou Gehrig
  7. 3B-Mike Schmidt
  8. C-Johnny Bench
  9. 2B Rod Carew

Starting Staff-

  1. Bob Gibson
  2. Walter Johnson
  3. Christy Matthewson
  4. Pedro Martinez
  5. Randy Johnson

Closer-

  1. Mariano Rivera

Bench-

  1. Albert Pujols
  2. Hank Aaron
  3. Carlton Fisk
  4. Cal Ripken Jr
  5. Stan Musial

Alright, look at it, study it, take it all in. OK let's dissect. Shortstop was between Banks, Ripken, and Wagner for me. But Banks gets the nod in the starting lineup because Ripken has the SS/3B versatility off the bench.

Is anyone going to honestly argue any of my starting Outfielders. You have "The Greatest Player That's Ever Lived" (Mays), "The White Willie" as we'll call him (Mantle), and "The Greatest Hitter That's Ever Lived" in Ted Williams, there is no debate.

Was there ANY other logical choice for DH? You say home run or baseball, and what do most people think? Babe Ruth.

It was a toss-up for me between Gehrig and Pujols. A lot of people may be saying how could you leave off Killebrew or McCovey. I'll say this, either of these two men could be in Pujols spot, but the kind of plate command that Albert has puts him ahead of them (batting avg. aside) for me, even if he doesn't have the stats (yet).

Mike Schmidt to me was the most complete third baseman in the history of the game. George Brett and Brooks Robinson are close seconds but there is no one better than Mike Schmidt.

When you think of catchers or on-field leaders the quintessential player for that description was Johnny Bench from his inception into the league. His backups were between Berra, Fisk, and Ivan Rodriguez. I want defensive catcher's here people so Mike Piazza doesn't make the cut.

Second baseman was Rod Carew, there is no debate on this.

If I want any one pitcher in history to start one game it's Bob Gibson. There's my ace. When a dirtbag like Ty Cobb (just missed getting on the list by the way) says he was "the most powerful arm ever to be let loose in a ball park" Walter Johnson HAS to be my number 2. Christy Matthewson although most people I know never saw him he was the real deal and my number 3. Can anyone name a more dominating pitcher than Pedro Martinez on the Red Sox and Expos, I mean this guy flat out, outclassed everyone. Randy Johnson is the scariest mother fucker to EVER step onto the mound and he has to be on my list. I'm taking a leap leaving off names like Ryan, Koufax, Clemens, Carlton, Spahn and Marichal but can you really lose with ANY of these guys?

Closer, one syllable, Mo. Good 'nuff?

The TRUE all time Homerun King just barely makes it onto the bench being interchangeable with Ted Williams for me. Albert is a Gold Glover at the corner along with being one of the greatest hitters of all time. Cal is the 2nd coming of the Iron Man and was a tremendous defensive player at third and Short. Fisk has to be the second person I would let run my pitching staff behind Bench. Stan "The Man" is one of only 3 players in baseball history to have over 6000 total bases in a career (The others? Mays and Aaron).

There you have it folks…What does yours look like?

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment