30.11.09

A Schisty Move

I realize I told ya'll that I'd post if something big broke, but I am still in shock with the douchebaggery that the Blue Jays pulled around Turkey Day. I only call it douchebaggery because it severely hindered the Red Sox off season plans, but in reality it was a brilliant move that will maximize the amount of return they will get in their shortstop search. When the Jays signed Alex Gonzalez (and his .299 OBP) it left us with only one viable option. That unfortunate option is one much-maligned Marco Scutaro. Now with the adversity of having to sign an aging shortstop, we are going to have to give up two draft picks, provided the Blue Jays offer him arbitration. So as they say let's "put another quarter in the merry-go-round" in the revolving shortstop door, and let's now lose two draft picks as well. Just to be clear are only other SS options are: Khalil (baseball makes me cry because I'm mentally weak) Greene, Orlando ( I slept with Keith Foulke's wife) Cabrera, and the oft injured Bobby Crosby.

Once again, this is my blog, and I reserve the right to print retractions at any time. As much as Clay Buchholz aggravates me, the only way we get rid of him is for a YOUNG pitcher. While Doc may have an IMPRESSIVE resume, work ethic, and preparation habits, here's some numbers that may pique your interest. Basically what this is saying is that, the only pitcher AFTER the age of 32 that has thrown as many innings/pitches as he has and had any improvement on the stats over his next 4 years is Bob Gibson. And while Doc Halladay could very well be a first ballot hall of famer, he doesn't dominate a game with sheer power like Gibson did, and when a pitcher that relies on movement and deception of pitches more so than power, if any of that starts to depreciate you could be in for a decline in goods. I'm not going to bet against him AT ALL for being the outlier that goes against all the numbers and performs well into his late 30's, but the numbers say that it will be a steep hill to climb.

Now who would I be if I didn't offer an alternative to get bolster this staff. As good as Clay Buchholz is, he's not the face of this franchise going forward but the Marlins are a team that likes to get the most out of their cost efficient players and then trade them to either boost their farm system or acquire more "cheap" players until their value went up. But I have the solution much like I always do. It's Josh Johnson. The Marlins, said that they won't trade him but they can't sign him to an extension for some reason, and what better person to replace Beckett than a reincarnation of Commander Kick Ass himself. If you call up Florida and tell them we'll give you Buchholz as a top tier uncostly pitching prospect, Casey Kotchman as a cheap major league experienced first baseman (they'll want him with the departure of Nick Johnson) plus two double-A players one pitcher one position player probably including Josh Reddick.

And in an attempt at an assassination ( how's that for alliteration?) my friends over at Sweaty Towels decided to fire off a warning shot in my small town's Alumni Basketball game by throwing an errant pass and with my vertical leaping ability ( you could almost slide a credit card underneath the bottom of my feet)I came back down only to hear a pop, and feel shit crunch around inside my knee. Well your valiant attempt to take over the blogosphere was thwarted and better luck next time. My ACL may be tore up but my spirit can't be broken… (…winces in pain…well played sir.)

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment