5.8.09

The Turning Point

If the Red Sox don't make the playoffs, and the Rays can find a way to sneak in this will be the turning point in both of our seasons. It seems like the game went for 5 hours, oh it did, scratch that. Inside this game were some of the best and worst display of "baseball" that I've seen.

First off I'm giving credit where credit is due, both bullpens were phenomenal. I have never seen so many jams in one game averted, as they were last night, and into the wee hours of this morning. Origami (or Manny DelCarmen [folds under pressure, remember?]) came in and cleaned up Daniel Bard's mess. For the first time, I'm going to say ever, do I have a little bit of confidence in him. Bard just didn't have it last night. Not sure if the gun was a tick or two slow but he wasn't 98-100 but 94-96 mostly. He threw a cock shot to Evan Longoria who deposited it about 430 feet, atop the CF backdrop. Then he couldn't throw his breaking ball for a strike but it's no cause for alarm. The kid is electric and WILL help this team. Just a blip in the radar. Was anyone looking for Justin Masterson in the bullpen? I certainly was.

Evan Longoria. Where to begin. HOLY SHIT THIS KID IS GOOD. He made 2-3 above average plays at the Hot corner. Hits the game tying HR and later in the game or the next day if you will hits the game winner to which I turned my TV off on contact. I didn't want to see it land for fear that that ball was going to hit my car here in New Hampshire. Here's the next tier of superstar staring at us in the face essentially saying, "I just owned your ass."

Situational baseball. I KNOW that it's not Tito's style to bunt or move the runner with small ball, but wouldn't that be the most advantageous time to do it. Joe Maddon knows that you're not going to bunt so move the runner over! In the same token, the Rays should have won the game FAR before the 13th last night. There is no way that you can squander two bases loaded no out chances. Had they have lost that game I would have written the Rays off and they probably would have tail-spinned for the remainder of the season. Now I am worried, this is not just a two team race, and the Rays are armed for the rest of the grind.

Josh Reddick is quickly becoming a pretty important guy on this team. Although he did strike out and look like a rookie at times last night, he came through with what could have been a huge hit had the rest of the Red Sox been able to muster anything off of the Rays 'pen.

This sets up the "Money" Battle tonight. Penny vs. Price. See what I did there? I made an atrocious attempt at a play on words and it really didn't work but I thought it was funny at first. I'm not sure who I like in this game but hopefully Brad "Shrek" Penny can come through for the sox tonight.

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment