3.6.09

Rounding the Bases

Some pretty eventful things happened today in the world of Major League baseball. A 300 game winner gets released, the person with the most 60 HR seasons calls it quits, a near no no in Motown, and a first ballot Hall of Famer goes for win number 300. Oh what a night!.

I realize that Tommy "Lefty" Glavine is at the very end of his career but is there really no room for him to be released by the organisation that he won so many games for? Unfortunately the answer is yes. Look at it this way if they got rid of another HOFer earlier this year why not make it a two-fer? But the Braves, like the Red Sox are/WERE very rich in pitching. I say were as I put my foot in my mouth about a trade from yesterdays blog. They gave up two VERY good pitching prospects. One I had the pleasure of catching when I was 17 in a Legion All Star Game (Jeff Locke).

"Slammin" Sammy Sosa today finally turned in his batting gloves. Can't say that I blame him, aside from that attrocious attempt at a (hows that for alliteration) comeback with the O's, there comes a time when you need to leave, and he finally made the right choice. His place will be forever enshrined in Chicago Cubs lore and I personally will always remember that exciting race between he and Big Mac, performance enhanced or not. That was one of the most boyishly exciting baseball related thing to happen in my life that I wasn't a part of.

Have to tip the 'ol cap to the Ace tonight. He was on the top of his game. However I can almost assure you all that the No-No would have happened had my obviously inebriated friend not uttered the words, "No hitter." If you think I let this slide you are sadly mistaken. I first proceeded to give him whiplash from a verbal assault, followed by a Major League Lambasting, and all culminating into me wallowing in a pit of despair knowing that his run at history was over after the 3rd inning slip-up. But back to one of the men of the hour. He was "dotting" his fastball on the corners, "painting" his knee-buckling Uncle Charlie, and baffling hitters with his Change.

Randy Johnson doesn't throw 97 with a devastating 88 mph slider. But he's still one win away from getting to that 300 plateau. Which would make him the 5th lefty in baseball history to achieve such status. Although his bid is currently getting downpoured on here's a little bit of how dominating The Big Unit once was. And any time you can see John Kruk's mullet is a good day in my book.

An exciting day for an exciting sport, but I'll leave you with today's completely random NON baseball thought.
Anyone else agitated that the President of the United States needs to be consulted with any basketball related thing? NEWS FLASH He hasn't turned around a recession yet DON'T BOTHER HIM WITH THIS. Also he is not a basketball analyst if you need an opinion that matters on this subject, ask Tim Legler.

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment