11.6.09

Anno Domin-ation

First and foremost I should probably apologise to the couple of fans that I do have, for not blogging last night. For the wonderful world of being a "legal beagle" or being 21 took over and instead of allocating my skills in the blogosphere I was concocting drinks that you wouldn't feed your pot bellied pig.

So in the day that I didn't grace you with my presence (I say that thinking that you actually feel privileged to read the drivel that comes out of my mouth) we have witnessed the slandering of a certain Red Sox Shortstop, a noticeable change in the pecking order that is Sox vs. Yankees lore, a 42 yr old pitcher whom deserves an All-Star Game bid, and the heartbeat in David Ortiz's bat has risen from flat lining to 2 blips.

After what has CLEARLY been Theo Epstein's worst signing to date we find the Red Sox adamantly shopping their overpaid, sub par defensive, cancer in the dugout shortstop Terry Francona refers to as "Loogie." Omar Minaya and the New York Mets have been hit with the injury bug something fierce and have lost their All-Star speedster Shortstop Jose Reyes and their second and third stringers as well. As of right now I'm thinking the Red Sox will take a weekend series supply of baseballs for Lugo but the Mets front office went on record saying, "We'd have to be pretty desperate to trade for Julio Lugo." WOW. If that isn't a kick to the balls I don't know what is. The Mets are completely content with running the backup AA SS compared to a error-happy Julio Lugo who has been stating his displeasure recently. But if you were the Mets would you trade for him? *crickets*...Nope.

The Red Sox entering Thursday nights boogie down with the Bronx Bombers have won the first 7 games of the season against their arch-rival and 8 in a row dating back to the end of '08. To put this in perspective the last time they had a run of dominance like this was when Rose wouldn't move her fat ass off of that door to save Jack's life. Yes, you guessed it, when the Titanic sank in 1912. This to me puts me in something of a quandary. Growing up, the only thing I've ever known is that the Red Sox come second fiddle to the Evil Empire. Not anymore. They clearly have picked up what the Yankees are puting down and if the season series were a chess match it would be Bobby Fisher vs. Charles Barkley we are about 10 steps ahead of EVERYTHING they are even thinking about.

Normally I'm not one to jump onto bandwagons but I laced up me PF Flyers and I'm ready to leap on the Tim Wakefield for the All-Star Game in '09. He's got the 3rd highest win total in the Major leagues this year, and in a laundry list of accolades collected during his tenure he has never once made it to the Midsummer Classic. I say lets change it...For everyone that counts lets get Timmy to St. Louis. I don't care if he doesn't pitch but how invaluable would he be if we had another one of those extra-inning epics? The guy can throw for days and the way those games have been going you may need him.

Sitting here watching David Ortiz power a ball over the Green Monster for the first time this year I think (despite his BA) that the slump is no longer looming. His average will climb, slowly but surely. You can tell the timing is back AND that someone is going good when they can POWER the ball to the opposite field and to get it over that 37 foot wall out there you can't get cheated on that swing. On a lighter note dealing with Ortiz, does anyone else find the curtain calls a little condescending? We realize that he hasn't hit worth a lick thus far during the season and the first curtain call was warranted, the second was cute but the third was a bit redundant and the 4th and whatever else there is to come is probably a little overkill. I realize that he has been the face of this franchise for years and that when he struggles we struggle. But do we really need to keep putting him on display? You can tell Francona and Beckett are making it a personal joke each time he hits one now to make him give a curtain call. Ortiz is back *there i said it* now lets start acting like it!

PHEW! I hope that this appeased all of you disappointed Bottom of the Ninth Fans. And I will make sure that the blog is ready for Monday for you all! Enjoy!

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment