16.3.10

March Madness

Everyone wants to know, who's my Final Four. I'll tell you. But not yet. I need to address this whole Blockbuster of ALL Blockbuster trades. I can't believe my ears. The ultimate baseball player on the trading block? Both sides are vehemently denying it so naturally I'm calling bullshit. Although Pujols is cheaper now, he would stand to command the same contract if not more that Alex Rodriguez signed 10 years 275mil. I guess I wasn't completely aware of my surroundings when I just found out that Ryan Howard and Albert Pujols are the same age. But as much of a behemoth as Ryan Howard is, Albert Pujols he is not. Howard would probably come at 5 mill less per year and if that is more within St. Louis budget than I could see a scenario where Albert Pujols was no longer a Cardinal. The X-Factor is that this could be sold to the fans because Ryan Howard is from the St. Louis area. I'd think long and hard if I were The Lou (as Nelly would call it) because what you'd be losing in sheer holy fuckness with Pujols you'd be gaining in tape measure shots from Howard.

Alright, You guys are CLEARLY moist with anticipation for my bracketology. I'll be honest I usually stay in the hunt until the Elite 8 and then my bracket gets turned over and done dry (see: Jennifer Aniston in Derailed). But this year I am determined, no DESTINED to smoke the rest of my office and claim the title as most knowledgeable and omnipotent sports predictor on the planet. Yeah, I might even buy myself a trophy with my winnings.

Let's look at my upsets in the first round.

{Giddy with anticipation}

In the Midwest Bracket: I don't consider the 8/9 game any sort of real upset but I'm going with the 9 Northern Iowa in that one. Also Georgia Tech over Oklahoma State.

In the West Bracket: Murray State is going to railroad Vanderbilt. Book it.

In the East Bracket: Washington is a sleeper this year and Marquette has no idea about the speeding locomotive coming at it. Get off the tracks when the train comes through.

In the South Bracket: I gave the nod to Louisville and Siena. Louisville and Cal is a toss-up and when in doubt go with a failed NBA coach. Siena has all their good players back from last year and they are poised to make noise this year. Purdue is garbage without Hummel.

{Sweat beading up on my forehead}

I have 2 double digit seeds getting to the Sweet 16 and that is Washington and Siena but I don't expect them to go further than that when they have to play the big boys.

{Heartbeat escalating}

My Final Four has Kansas vs Kansas State and Kentucky vs Baylor. I'm not sold on Duke and at some point throughout the tourney their sharpshooters are going to go ice cold and I don't think their defense is strong enough to get them all the way. Baylor has strong Guard play and good low post players and they are my sleeper for the trip to Indianapolis, but I don't think they can match the offensive firepower of Kentucky. Kansas will do the unthinkable and beat Kansas State for an unprecedented 4th time during the season. So you're looking at a potential matchup of Perrenial Powerhouses. I'll take experience over youth and exuberance any day. Kansas is your National Champ.

You'd be wise to copy my bracket because I intend on raking money from Yahoo, ESPN, WEEI, and an awesome College Watch from the Boston Globe. Yup, get it, get it.

Stay Tuned,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment