7.10.09

The Verdict

So by now I'm sure you are ALL waiting on the edge of your seats to find out my predictions for the Red Sox series. And I've decided that you'll have to wait until the end of the post for that invaluable nugget. And don't be that guy, who scrolls down just so that you can tell all of your friends that I'm a savant. Because first off, I know. And second, Your friends know as well.

So I've been waffling, (and when I say waffling I mean making Brett Favre look like MacGyver kind of waffling) when I was deciding on who was going to win this series. Until I heard this fact on WEEI's Dale & Holley. Everyone is making a HUGE deal out of the baserunning abilities of our opposition. 15 of 17 in nine games this year is downright staggering, eh? Have a listen to these numbers:

6 of the 15 steals were with Wakefield on the mound. Get rid of those ones. So now you're looking at 9 of 11, still notbad. 1 was off Masterson and one off of Del"Longball." Masterson is very slow to the plate with that lanky frame; and the other runner should have gone Yahzee off of Del"gopherball". So give those the heave-ho as well. Now you're at 7 out of 9, not as formidable. Oh did I forget to mention that 3 were off of Papelbon whom is unsure that baserunners exist. The whopping total of 4 SB in 6 attempts is what we are left with and this is far from as big a problem as I once suspected.

This WILL be combated with THE LEFTY in Game 1, Beckett throwing over a few more times in game 2, and Buchholz having a very good move to 1st and being quick to the plate. Crisis Averted.

A brief breakdown of the matchups:

Lester vs Lackey

The Angels have not yet had the delight of watching my favorite pitcher in the game to the slab against them in 2009. They only have the knowledge that he ass raped them in the '08 playoffs. Huge advantage Lester

Lackey has faced Boston once taking the L in 7.2 Innings. But his ability of always letting the Red Sox hit it to the wrong guy will once again be his downfall.

Prediction-Sox Win 4-2

Beckett vs Weaver

Becket is money in the playoffs. And his side session reaffirmed his health (to me) and I am strapped in and ready for the ride.

Weaver has a 0.66 ERA agasnt the Sox this year and he's everything his brother wishes he could be. So that's a bonus.

Prediction- Late inning rally by Boston, 2-1 Win

Buchholz vs Kazmir

He's young, he'll have his moments but I don't think this matchup (even at Fenway) favors the rook.

If Lester weren't in this league the 2007 version of Scott Kazmir would be my favorite pitcher in the league. He owns at Fenway and I don't see that dominance stopping here.

Prediction- Angels Win 5-3

Daisuke vs. Saunders

No need to break down both. SLUGFEST is the only word I can muster and the Sox won't lose a barn burner on Yawkey Way.

Prediction- Boston Wins 11-8

There you have it folks. Hot off the presses. Sox in 4 against the Halos and playing the probably already waiting Yankees in the Championship Series. Bring on 'da Bomba's!

Stay Tuned

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment